Friday, February 25

Book: Islam The Way of Revival, Riza Mohammed et al

I picked this up on a whim while checking the return book pile at the SOAS Library. It's actually an anthology of selected writings covering the following topics: The Islamic Worldview, The Quran, The Prophet Muhammad, Worship, Ethics and Law, and Self-Development (and there's a second volume covering other topics).

The good thing about anthologies is that it's likely there will be something for everyone in them. The flip side, however, is that there'll also be articles you wouldn't like as much. Such is the case with this collection, and it might not have helped that some pieces had been translated from a language other than English making them a bit difficult to read.

Having said that, it's a good read for the other articles, and frankly I think I'll take a lot away from it. On the whole I preferred the second, more practical, half to the abstract first, although they're both worth a good read. I found myself both nodding in agreement at times, as well as receiving moments of mini-enlightenment so whatever "level" you feel your practice of Islam to be at (although I'm not sure if this is a good starters' introduction to the religion), they'll be something for you in this book.

(Amazon)

No comments:

Post a Comment